Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Emmy (Morris) Jones

December 16, 2015, 11:19:46 AM
I will be sending it through CANADA POST today to:

PO BOX 330
ALERT BAY, BC
V0N 1A0

it will be up to the Administrator or C&C to decide which family the food hamper would go to.

Emmy (Morris) Jones

December 16, 2015, 11:04:35 AM
Hello,
This is Emmy (Morris) Jones - i work for Inter Tribal Health Authority.  I am trying to get in contact with someone that works for the nation.  ITHA has a food hamper to give to one of your community members.

Can i get someone from the Administration office to call me at ITHA office at 2

Nick Chowdhury

November 17, 2014, 07:07:19 PM
spam broke through our website registration, IPs have all been banned and accounts removed.

Nick Chowdhury

September 10, 2014, 01:09:48 PM
Marine Forecast finally working again. Now to find other things to update or fix on here.... ;) ;)

maryann boadu

February 27, 2014, 10:59:27 AM
Hey Trish, thanks I emailed you this morning!  :D

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 17, 2017, 05:12:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

* * * * Please remember - If you are a band member you NEED to register to be added to the "Band Member" group in order to access the Band Member Only files and news * * * * If you need help registering please call or email us * * * *

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
1
Opportunities / Re: Family Navigator Job Posting
« Last post by Pongganut on November 20, 2017, 11:26:38 PM »
Thanks for the info In the paper you scanned.
2
General Discussion / Re: More notes from committee
« Last post by Pongganut on November 20, 2017, 11:24:02 PM »
Ok, I read it all, I'll do as you say.
3
General Discussion / More notes from committee
« Last post by Trish Nolie on July 17, 2015, 09:52:40 AM »
Governance Committee
Conference call – Molly, Trish, Nick, Joan, Sandra, and Lou-Ann
Materials Provided: 5 Pillars of Governance
Discussion:
There is common agreement that this is a good place to start, being open to more people being involved is better than what was done in the past.
There is the potential to draw upon more than one source for ideas of how to move on developing our governance.
There should be a membership code; this code should have been put in place when we moved to being a custom code band. This is a priority because there is a question about the expectations and roles of our Chief and Council: we have an off-reserve Council member who has yet to engage with any of the off-reserve members.
Do we have policy or process to guide us in this? There is no communication to off-reserve members about his role and the work, what is he doing, and what is he attending?
Expectations of Off-Reserve Council Member
Communicate with off-reserve members, take feedback and concerns in general
Report on meetings – what was purpose or intent of meetings and what are the outputs or next opportunities for feedback
Is there a general timeframe for communications – regular reporting
What are the next steps when the off-reserve council member does not reach the expectations set out for that role?
How and when do we provide criticism?
We need to address the communication that pointed out our member by name and was poorly stated and publicly communicated
There are pieces that need to be put in place so that policy and process can guide us; we need a membership code, election code and administration policies.
Noted that Nicole has information to share, anyone please remind her to share it via email.
Request for face to face meeting in Campbell River on June 27th
Governance Committee – June 27th
Need to review tool guide and work plan commitments to maintain funding from AANDC
Suggested that office provide personnel policy and paperwork to support questions and conversation
Draft Agenda
Purpose of meeting
Identify and prioritize tasks
Current needs and parking lot for future development
Work plan and timeline
Future commitments to how we will get this done
Availability and preferred contact
Plan next steps
Election Code
August 1987 – custom code BCR to move to hereditary chief
Councillors will be in place until Chief and Council or membership chooses to make change.
Process for elections and term around our councillors needs to be put in place.
Council Member - Process for enabling term and election
Term – how long and what will work?
Council Member Role and Responsibilities
Oath of office
Privacy of information
CRC requirement
Engagement Expectations
Portfolio approach – subjects to report on
Carry voice of our membership and report on outcomes
Reporting and Communications Framework
Topic of discussion/update
Time frame for reporting – quarterly?
Code of ethics
How campaign is executed
Respect and integrity in all actions prior to and following elections
Recall and non-commitment
Who determines or decides on this matter? Chief&Council? Membership? Committee? Is there potential here for us to make this governance committee a standing committee to come together for future plans and development as well as to review and evaluate when needed.
Elections and Nominations
Nominations process needs to have time for CRC to be completed and filed.
All policies and expectations are to be delivered with nomination to be considered before nomination is accepted.


Communications:
The key here is communications, two way informing communications and relationships.
There is so much going on in our region and we are unaware of how we are involved.
There is concern about treaty process falling apart; there is no input from members and no reporting back to membership.
Need regular scheduled meetings to provide opportunity for reporting to happen, this would connect to having a work plan in place with measurable outputs for the council member role.
Professional and Institutional Development Program
This is an AANDC funded approach by application.
The budget is understood to be continued as long as we want.
There is a piece in the budget for a coordinator for the project, the job description may or may not be completed.
The question is being put forward to the committee now – do we need a coordinator or would we use that budget to support travel and meetings.
Committee Next Steps
Reporting to membership -
Governance building is current work to be completed; do we disband or continue on for no reason? Do we establish new task for committee and operate under different parameters.
4
General Discussion / Governance Committee Notes
« Last post by Trish Nolie on July 17, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »
Governance Policy Development Committee
June 27, 2015
Coast Discovery Inn,Campbell River
Start time 1:35 pm
In attendance: Norman Glendale, Vina Glendale, Lily Erford, Sandra Glendale, Louann Neel, Nick Chowdhury, Joan Glendale, Jean Glendale, Trish Nolie, Molly Dawson

Discussion on possible agenda items. Nick volunteers as Chair of this meeting.  Discussion on making this position (Chair) to be rotated among the group.  Nick, Trish, and Molly will be taking notes to distribute to committee members for approval then disperse to members.

Nick: Agenda – what we will be doing, the tool kits handed out will be a reference only, of what we can do.  What do we have is our “Personnel Policy” and “Membership Policy” (Indian Act Policy”. 
Louann – membership code and election code as priorities, was going to be a priority for us.  It was agreed to at the election meeting that this committee would develop clear guidelines on the election code.  Discussion on whether Michael Jacobson-Weston should be at this table.  We need to have the policy for elected council in place now because the current term is half way through.
Nick: purpose of this meeting is to identify priorities, timelines, and develop a workplan.  Discussion around “purpose” and “action” . 
Louann: discusses what was agreed at the membership meeting the documents in place she mentioned the “Order in Council from 1954” and the BCR from 1984 stating “the elected council would be in place until such time that membership wishes to change it”  It doesn’t say how many members need to express this. 
Nick: We can take examples of how other tribes have done this.  We have already done the election for the off-reserve council so we can go ahead from here. We will develop specific guidelines for the council to follow.  We had a discussion around breaking down the wall between “off-reserve” and “on-reserve”.
Lily: We need to improve on how we communicate.  Most of the time we just hear rumours of what is happening, but we don’t know if it is true or not.
Norman: We need to work together to make things happen.
Lily: We need to be professional about how we do this work.
Nick: Council position, responsibilities of this council member.  We can look into how we decide the term length.
Lily: Leaders need to be looking out for their members, these same members will want that person in the person in that position longer.
Sandra: Important to get roles and responsibilities made out as a priority.  Confidentiality would be at the top of the responsibility of the Council.
Nick: Need to take this back to a process and put a “confidentiality agreement” in place for the current Council to sign and abide by.
Lily: As well as a “Criminal Record check”. We need nomination procedures etc. like “Off Reserve ballots”
Louann: Good points being made that wold be good to share with membership. Brainstorming – term of council, “interim election code” can be used.  Allow ourselves to try save things out here, see what membership think.
We can develop tasks for this committee:
Should have presented at election, confidentiality agreement, and give a timeframe to provide a criminal record check.
Joan: can that be included in the roles and responsibilities that these are expected for this person to carry out?
Sandra: either you are committed or not, if not then we will get someone else.
Nick: that can be put in there “recall” because of non-confidence.
Lily: we need to have someone in place to keep track of what they are doing.
Louann: They should have answsers and results of what they hae been doing – tasks report – report on requests by 3 months” Examples of what can be reported on.  Sometimes the tasks are not right for that person, can give them to someone else on council, staff or membership.
Trish: perhaps each council has certain portfolio, accountability on whether the council member is bringing our concerns to the meetings they attend.  They don’t just go to attend the meetings
Norman: It’s not about “I” it should be “We”, we need to respect each other.  We need to bring that back “Respect each other”
Louann:  How are we tapped into the other nations? We hear about other bands doing a lot of things, but we don’t know how we are included with the organizations.
Trish: example of Namgis having an “Eulachon” meeting, they did not have any intentions of including us in this meeting.  To see more of our presence in our territory would be great.
Joan: Namgis has kind of backed off since we also attended that meeting,
Louann: We need to get Treaty in more communications to make sure we stay onboard.
Nick: ok so we can start on Council policies: Term – how long, role and responsibilities, confidentiality agreement, criminal records check, engagement expectations, carrying voice of membership to meetings, recall and non-commitment (who would decide this?)
Lily: if they have a workplan, it would be obvious if they are not following it.  Would we also have someone in place to replace that council for the interim?
Discussion around the nominated member for council must understand the Roles and Responsibilities and have a Criminal records Check before accepting the nomination. 
Sandra: We also need procedures for members to have their concerns on record.
Louann: Need to really set up how often we, the membership, meet. Twice a year? To get to make sure all our concerns are being met.  We should concentrate on making sure our children know who we are, start with family base, then do the membership business. 
Nick: With the report back to membership on our work, perhaps ask if this committee can be made permanent, at least for the first few years of implementing these policies.  Possibly strike up a new committee to address whatever issues come up after that.  This was a great beginning to the work ahead of this committee, we will send out the minutes, when we have compiled all the notes for the committee to go over then the committee will need to approve them being sent to general membership.

Meeting ended at approx.: 3pm
5
General Discussion / Training/ Employment Survey
« Last post by Trish Nolie on March 13, 2015, 11:14:25 PM »
Good afternoon Da'naxda'xw members,

We wanted to share a survey that has been developed for us to to help us with what needs we acquire for  training and employment within our tribe.

Please complete the survey on the link below, it will take about 15 minutes of your time. If you require assistance please contact myself or Molly .

Prizes will be drawn at the end of the survey!

https://questionpro.com/t/ADYtRZSRmc

Gila'kasla

Trish Nolie
trish.n@danaxdaxw.com
250-974-3708
6
General Discussion / Re: Input from members
« Last post by Nick Chowdhury on November 26, 2014, 12:00:57 PM »
Hey Lou Ann,
As I see there are more calls for information currently, I will check in with our office and see if this comment has been collected.

I am not sure about continued education opportunities, but I will check into training and entrepreneur training for our members.
7
General Discussion / Skills And Training Needs
« Last post by Trish Nolie on November 19, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
 Skills Assessment and Needs
We hope to learn about some of the skills that our members have and some that may be needed. This type of information would help if we had an opportunity for employment to our membership or an opportunity for training. We would hope to tailor needs and opportunities that are relevant if possible.
-age
-employment status (unemployed, part time, full time, seasonal)
-current skills/certificates (drivers license, gr12, college/university)
-skills wanted or needed to continue/improve employment opportunities
8
General Discussion / First Nations Health Benefits
« Last post by Trish Nolie on November 19, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
Here are some questions to read and and also have your input on our non insured health benefits. Please send feedback for us to bring to the table with Chief and council.


1a> We would like to gather some information about your experience accessing health services and learn about the local health service organizations you may be using. example - Inter Tribal Health Authority (ITHA) or KDC Health
describe a positive experience when accessing health services, was someone helpful?
describe a challenge you or someone in your family has experienced

1b> What we used to call non-insured health benefits are now known as First Nations Health Benefits (patient travel, vision, dental, etc.)
Based on a recent letter sent to our office about the First Nations Health Benefits process, we would like to learn more about how are members are doing accessing these services.
describe a positive experience
describe a challenge or why you may be frustrated with this service
9
Opportunities / Job Opportunity
« Last post by Trish Nolie on October 20, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
Good Morning Everyone, An opportunity has come to our attention with The DMT fisheries that James Speck Runs. Attached is an email from James.

  From: James Speck <jaspeck@cablerocket.com>

I have a job opportunity for 2 members, one truck driver with Valid drivers license and one helper.  This job will be a permanent job.  They will be picking up Sea Cumbers and driving to Vancouver.
 
Please look into anyone that is interested in this job, You can call me at 20-974-3955, I will get back to you for more information on this job

James Speck
DMT Fisheries Society
10
Opportunities / Family Navigator Job Posting
« Last post by Trish Nolie on June 12, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »
<a href="http://danaxdaxw.com/A PDF folder/AB Family Navigator Job Posting.pdf" target="_blank">http://danaxdaxw.com/A PDF folder/AB Family Navigator Job Posting.pdf</a>
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Mail:

Send postage mail:
Box 330, Alert Bay BC
Canada V0N 1A0

Call Us

250-974-2703
1-877-207-9797
Fax: 250-974-2706