Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.


Messages - Trish Nolie

Pages: [1]
1
General Discussion / More notes from committee
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:52:40 AM »
Governance Committee
Conference call – Molly, Trish, Nick, Joan, Sandra, and Lou-Ann
Materials Provided: 5 Pillars of Governance
Discussion:
There is common agreement that this is a good place to start, being open to more people being involved is better than what was done in the past.
There is the potential to draw upon more than one source for ideas of how to move on developing our governance.
There should be a membership code; this code should have been put in place when we moved to being a custom code band. This is a priority because there is a question about the expectations and roles of our Chief and Council: we have an off-reserve Council member who has yet to engage with any of the off-reserve members.
Do we have policy or process to guide us in this? There is no communication to off-reserve members about his role and the work, what is he doing, and what is he attending?
Expectations of Off-Reserve Council Member
Communicate with off-reserve members, take feedback and concerns in general
Report on meetings – what was purpose or intent of meetings and what are the outputs or next opportunities for feedback
Is there a general timeframe for communications – regular reporting
What are the next steps when the off-reserve council member does not reach the expectations set out for that role?
How and when do we provide criticism?
We need to address the communication that pointed out our member by name and was poorly stated and publicly communicated
There are pieces that need to be put in place so that policy and process can guide us; we need a membership code, election code and administration policies.
Noted that Nicole has information to share, anyone please remind her to share it via email.
Request for face to face meeting in Campbell River on June 27th
Governance Committee – June 27th
Need to review tool guide and work plan commitments to maintain funding from AANDC
Suggested that office provide personnel policy and paperwork to support questions and conversation
Draft Agenda
Purpose of meeting
Identify and prioritize tasks
Current needs and parking lot for future development
Work plan and timeline
Future commitments to how we will get this done
Availability and preferred contact
Plan next steps
Election Code
August 1987 – custom code BCR to move to hereditary chief
Councillors will be in place until Chief and Council or membership chooses to make change.
Process for elections and term around our councillors needs to be put in place.
Council Member - Process for enabling term and election
Term – how long and what will work?
Council Member Role and Responsibilities
Oath of office
Privacy of information
CRC requirement
Engagement Expectations
Portfolio approach – subjects to report on
Carry voice of our membership and report on outcomes
Reporting and Communications Framework
Topic of discussion/update
Time frame for reporting – quarterly?
Code of ethics
How campaign is executed
Respect and integrity in all actions prior to and following elections
Recall and non-commitment
Who determines or decides on this matter? Chief&Council? Membership? Committee? Is there potential here for us to make this governance committee a standing committee to come together for future plans and development as well as to review and evaluate when needed.
Elections and Nominations
Nominations process needs to have time for CRC to be completed and filed.
All policies and expectations are to be delivered with nomination to be considered before nomination is accepted.


Communications:
The key here is communications, two way informing communications and relationships.
There is so much going on in our region and we are unaware of how we are involved.
There is concern about treaty process falling apart; there is no input from members and no reporting back to membership.
Need regular scheduled meetings to provide opportunity for reporting to happen, this would connect to having a work plan in place with measurable outputs for the council member role.
Professional and Institutional Development Program
This is an AANDC funded approach by application.
The budget is understood to be continued as long as we want.
There is a piece in the budget for a coordinator for the project, the job description may or may not be completed.
The question is being put forward to the committee now – do we need a coordinator or would we use that budget to support travel and meetings.
Committee Next Steps
Reporting to membership -
Governance building is current work to be completed; do we disband or continue on for no reason? Do we establish new task for committee and operate under different parameters.

2
General Discussion / Governance Committee Notes
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »
Governance Policy Development Committee
June 27, 2015
Coast Discovery Inn,Campbell River
Start time 1:35 pm
In attendance: Norman Glendale, Vina Glendale, Lily Erford, Sandra Glendale, Louann Neel, Nick Chowdhury, Joan Glendale, Jean Glendale, Trish Nolie, Molly Dawson

Discussion on possible agenda items. Nick volunteers as Chair of this meeting.  Discussion on making this position (Chair) to be rotated among the group.  Nick, Trish, and Molly will be taking notes to distribute to committee members for approval then disperse to members.

Nick: Agenda – what we will be doing, the tool kits handed out will be a reference only, of what we can do.  What do we have is our “Personnel Policy” and “Membership Policy” (Indian Act Policy”. 
Louann – membership code and election code as priorities, was going to be a priority for us.  It was agreed to at the election meeting that this committee would develop clear guidelines on the election code.  Discussion on whether Michael Jacobson-Weston should be at this table.  We need to have the policy for elected council in place now because the current term is half way through.
Nick: purpose of this meeting is to identify priorities, timelines, and develop a workplan.  Discussion around “purpose” and “action” . 
Louann: discusses what was agreed at the membership meeting the documents in place she mentioned the “Order in Council from 1954” and the BCR from 1984 stating “the elected council would be in place until such time that membership wishes to change it”  It doesn’t say how many members need to express this. 
Nick: We can take examples of how other tribes have done this.  We have already done the election for the off-reserve council so we can go ahead from here. We will develop specific guidelines for the council to follow.  We had a discussion around breaking down the wall between “off-reserve” and “on-reserve”.
Lily: We need to improve on how we communicate.  Most of the time we just hear rumours of what is happening, but we don’t know if it is true or not.
Norman: We need to work together to make things happen.
Lily: We need to be professional about how we do this work.
Nick: Council position, responsibilities of this council member.  We can look into how we decide the term length.
Lily: Leaders need to be looking out for their members, these same members will want that person in the person in that position longer.
Sandra: Important to get roles and responsibilities made out as a priority.  Confidentiality would be at the top of the responsibility of the Council.
Nick: Need to take this back to a process and put a “confidentiality agreement” in place for the current Council to sign and abide by.
Lily: As well as a “Criminal Record check”. We need nomination procedures etc. like “Off Reserve ballots”
Louann: Good points being made that wold be good to share with membership. Brainstorming – term of council, “interim election code” can be used.  Allow ourselves to try save things out here, see what membership think.
We can develop tasks for this committee:
Should have presented at election, confidentiality agreement, and give a timeframe to provide a criminal record check.
Joan: can that be included in the roles and responsibilities that these are expected for this person to carry out?
Sandra: either you are committed or not, if not then we will get someone else.
Nick: that can be put in there “recall” because of non-confidence.
Lily: we need to have someone in place to keep track of what they are doing.
Louann: They should have answsers and results of what they hae been doing – tasks report – report on requests by 3 months” Examples of what can be reported on.  Sometimes the tasks are not right for that person, can give them to someone else on council, staff or membership.
Trish: perhaps each council has certain portfolio, accountability on whether the council member is bringing our concerns to the meetings they attend.  They don’t just go to attend the meetings
Norman: It’s not about “I” it should be “We”, we need to respect each other.  We need to bring that back “Respect each other”
Louann:  How are we tapped into the other nations? We hear about other bands doing a lot of things, but we don’t know how we are included with the organizations.
Trish: example of Namgis having an “Eulachon” meeting, they did not have any intentions of including us in this meeting.  To see more of our presence in our territory would be great.
Joan: Namgis has kind of backed off since we also attended that meeting,
Louann: We need to get Treaty in more communications to make sure we stay onboard.
Nick: ok so we can start on Council policies: Term – how long, role and responsibilities, confidentiality agreement, criminal records check, engagement expectations, carrying voice of membership to meetings, recall and non-commitment (who would decide this?)
Lily: if they have a workplan, it would be obvious if they are not following it.  Would we also have someone in place to replace that council for the interim?
Discussion around the nominated member for council must understand the Roles and Responsibilities and have a Criminal records Check before accepting the nomination. 
Sandra: We also need procedures for members to have their concerns on record.
Louann: Need to really set up how often we, the membership, meet. Twice a year? To get to make sure all our concerns are being met.  We should concentrate on making sure our children know who we are, start with family base, then do the membership business. 
Nick: With the report back to membership on our work, perhaps ask if this committee can be made permanent, at least for the first few years of implementing these policies.  Possibly strike up a new committee to address whatever issues come up after that.  This was a great beginning to the work ahead of this committee, we will send out the minutes, when we have compiled all the notes for the committee to go over then the committee will need to approve them being sent to general membership.

Meeting ended at approx.: 3pm

3
General Discussion / Training/ Employment Survey
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:14:25 PM »
Good afternoon Da'naxda'xw members,

We wanted to share a survey that has been developed for us to to help us with what needs we acquire for  training and employment within our tribe.

Please complete the survey on the link below, it will take about 15 minutes of your time. If you require assistance please contact myself or Molly .

Prizes will be drawn at the end of the survey!

https://questionpro.com/t/ADYtRZSRmc

Gila'kasla

Trish Nolie
trish.n@danaxdaxw.com
250-974-3708

4
General Discussion / Skills And Training Needs
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:50:57 PM »
 Skills Assessment and Needs
We hope to learn about some of the skills that our members have and some that may be needed. This type of information would help if we had an opportunity for employment to our membership or an opportunity for training. We would hope to tailor needs and opportunities that are relevant if possible.
-age
-employment status (unemployed, part time, full time, seasonal)
-current skills/certificates (drivers license, gr12, college/university)
-skills wanted or needed to continue/improve employment opportunities

5
General Discussion / First Nations Health Benefits
« on: November 19, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
Here are some questions to read and and also have your input on our non insured health benefits. Please send feedback for us to bring to the table with Chief and council.


1a> We would like to gather some information about your experience accessing health services and learn about the local health service organizations you may be using. example - Inter Tribal Health Authority (ITHA) or KDC Health
describe a positive experience when accessing health services, was someone helpful?
describe a challenge you or someone in your family has experienced

1b> What we used to call non-insured health benefits are now known as First Nations Health Benefits (patient travel, vision, dental, etc.)
Based on a recent letter sent to our office about the First Nations Health Benefits process, we would like to learn more about how are members are doing accessing these services.
describe a positive experience
describe a challenge or why you may be frustrated with this service

6
Opportunities / Job Opportunity
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
Good Morning Everyone, An opportunity has come to our attention with The DMT fisheries that James Speck Runs. Attached is an email from James.

  From: James Speck <jaspeck@cablerocket.com>

I have a job opportunity for 2 members, one truck driver with Valid drivers license and one helper.  This job will be a permanent job.  They will be picking up Sea Cumbers and driving to Vancouver.
 
Please look into anyone that is interested in this job, You can call me at 20-974-3955, I will get back to you for more information on this job

James Speck
DMT Fisheries Society

7
Opportunities / Family Navigator Job Posting
« on: June 12, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »
<a href="http://danaxdaxw.com/A PDF folder/AB Family Navigator Job Posting.pdf" target="_blank">http://danaxdaxw.com/A PDF folder/AB Family Navigator Job Posting.pdf</a>

8
Opportunities / Call For Artisans
« on: June 11, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »

<a href="http://danaxdaxw.com/A PDF folder/Call+for+Artisans.pdf" target="_blank">http://danaxdaxw.com/A PDF folder/Call+for+Artisans.pdf</a>

9
Opportunities / Fisheries Executive Assistant June 2014
« on: June 03, 2014, 01:05:21 PM »


MUSQUEAM INDIAN BAND           
6735 Salish Drive
Vancouver, B.C. V6N 4C4
Telephone: 604 263-3261
Fax: 604 263-4212               



Musqueam Indian Band
Job Posting
Term (Leave Coverage)

Fisheries Executive Assistant


Position Summary:

Reporting to the Fisheries Manager, the Executive Assistant, Musqueam Fisheries Department assists in the administration of the Fisheries Program of the Musqueam Indian Fisheries Commission.  On budget, administrative, and operational matters the Executive Assistant reports regularly and directly to the Fisheries Manager.  The incumbent assists in preparation and administration of an annual departmental budget for Fisheries, and is responsible for administrating expenditures, and providing financial status reports to the Fisheries Commission.  The Executive Assistant ensures that the Fisheries Department administrative practices are consistent with the Musqueam Indian Band administrative policies.

Duties:
•   Provision of a complete administrative service for the Musqueam Fisheries Department covering all aspects of office and operational administration.
•   Assists in preparation and administration of the Fisheries Department budget under the supervision of the Fisheries Manager.  Ensures that departmental expenditures comply with the approved budget.
•   Responsible for preparation and timely submission of all narrative and financial reports as directed by the Fisheries Manager.
•   Prepares meeting agendas, briefing materials, meeting kits, takes minutes and transcribes, makes travel arrangements, prepares correspondence, weekly reports, and notices; performs filing; copying; faxing; room bookings; and other clerical duties.
•   Ensures that departmental administrative activities comply with administrative policies.
•   Develops and maintains a departmental filing system.
•   Coordinates the ordering and maintains the inventory of office and other supplies for the Fisheries Department. 
•   Prepares and distributes designation cards.
•   Prepares and arranges for distribution of community notices as required.
•   Develops and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues, subordinate staff, outside governments, agencies, boards, and industry.
•   Performs other related duties as required.

Knowledge and Abilities:
•   Skill and knowledge usually attained by successful completion of High School, with courses in Business Administration, Financial Management, and/or Habitat/Wildlife Management; and three years experience in the program administration; or an equivalent combination of skill, knowledge, and experience.
•   Knowledge and experience of similar program delivery in the context of Musqueam or First Nations culture and history.
•   Ability to take and transcribe minutes of commission meetings, community meetings, and negotiations.
•   Ability to operate a computer and its accessories.  Ability to use computer software necessary to the Fisheries Department administrative operation.
•   Ability to administer an efficient and effective Fisheries Program.
•   Ability to develop, and operate within, annual departmental budgets and monitor departmental expenditures.
•   Ability to use tact and good judgement in dealing with sensitive and complex issues. 
•   Ability to maintain confidentiality.
•   Ability to drive and provide a licensed vehicle for work purposes.


Working Conditions
•   Work is performed in an office environment and periodically in the community

Licenses/Certificates:
•   Valid BC Driver’s License
•   Successful Criminal Record Check
•   Access to a vehicle for business purposes.


Please apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to Musqueam Indian Band, Human Resources, 6735 Salish Drive, Vancouver, BC, V6N 4C4,
Fax: (604) 263-4212
E-mail jobs@musqueam.bc.ca

Applicants of Musqueam and/or Aboriginal ancestry are encouraged to apply.

This posting will remain open until filled.

* Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.*

10
Opportunities / Job Posting until filled (Hatchery Bio)
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:58:46 AM »
<a href="http://danaxdaxw.com/A PDF folder/Job Posting -Hatchery Bio.pdf" target="_blank">http://danaxdaxw.com/A PDF folder/Job Posting -Hatchery Bio.pdf</a>

11
Opportunities / Job Posting until filled (Hatchery)
« on: May 31, 2014, 07:56:57 AM »
<a href="http://danaxdaxw.com/A PDF folder/Hatchery Equipment and Facilities Maintenance Coordinator..pdf" target="_blank">http://danaxdaxw.com/A PDF folder/Hatchery Equipment and Facilities Maintenance Coordinator..pdf</a>

12
Opportunities / Educational opportunity- Deadline May 15th, 2014
« on: April 04, 2014, 09:01:26 AM »
Educational Opportunity -Eligible applications from First Nations or Inuit applicants will be given preference. Please see attachment!

13
General Discussion / Input from members
« on: March 05, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »
Good Morning everyone, I am looking for input from our members on training that you would be interested in. We are looking to apply for funding based on your needs such as; short term training, Long term programs, and what institutes would you be interested in? What is in demand in our areas? What can we do for our future planning?

This is your opportunity to speak up and have a voice as to what our band is applying for!

Any input is welcome.

Please email myself or Molly
trish.n@danaxdaxw.com or molly@danaxdaxw.com

Thank you for your attention, we look forward to hearing from you.

Gila'kasla Trish Nolie

 

14
General Discussion / Members
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »
Good Morning Everyone! I am currently working on a newsletter with staff, Chief and Council. I am planning on having a quarterly newsletter; Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. For those of you who have not sent your updated/correct address, please do so as soon as possible. If you could please pass this on to family members who do not use the internet.

If anyone would like to incorporate certain dates of an event, have questions or comments, you can email me at trish.n@danaxdaxw.com or call.

Gila'kasla Trish Nolie
Communications
250-974-3708

Pages: [1]