Shoutbox

Last 5 Shouts:

Emmy (Morris) Jones

December 16, 2015, 11:19:46 AM
I will be sending it through CANADA POST today to:

PO BOX 330
ALERT BAY, BC
V0N 1A0

it will be up to the Administrator or C&C to decide which family the food hamper would go to.

Emmy (Morris) Jones

December 16, 2015, 11:04:35 AM
Hello,
This is Emmy (Morris) Jones - i work for Inter Tribal Health Authority.  I am trying to get in contact with someone that works for the nation.  ITHA has a food hamper to give to one of your community members.

Can i get someone from the Administration office to call me at ITHA office at 2

Nick Chowdhury

November 17, 2014, 07:07:19 PM
spam broke through our website registration, IPs have all been banned and accounts removed.

Nick Chowdhury

September 10, 2014, 01:09:48 PM
Marine Forecast finally working again. Now to find other things to update or fix on here.... ;) ;)

maryann boadu

February 27, 2014, 10:59:27 AM
Hey Trish, thanks I emailed you this morning!  :D

Show 50 latest
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 24, 2017, 07:11:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

* * * * Please remember - If you are a band member you NEED to register to be added to the "Band Member" group in order to access the Band Member Only files and news * * * * If you need help registering please call or email us * * * *

Author Topic: Governance Committee Notes  (Read 3545 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Trish Nolie

  • Administrator
  • Newbie
  • *****
  • Posts: 16
    • View Profile
Governance Committee Notes
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:50:15 AM »
Governance Policy Development Committee
June 27, 2015
Coast Discovery Inn,Campbell River
Start time 1:35 pm
In attendance: Norman Glendale, Vina Glendale, Lily Erford, Sandra Glendale, Louann Neel, Nick Chowdhury, Joan Glendale, Jean Glendale, Trish Nolie, Molly Dawson

Discussion on possible agenda items. Nick volunteers as Chair of this meeting.  Discussion on making this position (Chair) to be rotated among the group.  Nick, Trish, and Molly will be taking notes to distribute to committee members for approval then disperse to members.

Nick: Agenda – what we will be doing, the tool kits handed out will be a reference only, of what we can do.  What do we have is our “Personnel Policy” and “Membership Policy” (Indian Act Policy”. 
Louann – membership code and election code as priorities, was going to be a priority for us.  It was agreed to at the election meeting that this committee would develop clear guidelines on the election code.  Discussion on whether Michael Jacobson-Weston should be at this table.  We need to have the policy for elected council in place now because the current term is half way through.
Nick: purpose of this meeting is to identify priorities, timelines, and develop a workplan.  Discussion around “purpose” and “action” . 
Louann: discusses what was agreed at the membership meeting the documents in place she mentioned the “Order in Council from 1954” and the BCR from 1984 stating “the elected council would be in place until such time that membership wishes to change it”  It doesn’t say how many members need to express this. 
Nick: We can take examples of how other tribes have done this.  We have already done the election for the off-reserve council so we can go ahead from here. We will develop specific guidelines for the council to follow.  We had a discussion around breaking down the wall between “off-reserve” and “on-reserve”.
Lily: We need to improve on how we communicate.  Most of the time we just hear rumours of what is happening, but we don’t know if it is true or not.
Norman: We need to work together to make things happen.
Lily: We need to be professional about how we do this work.
Nick: Council position, responsibilities of this council member.  We can look into how we decide the term length.
Lily: Leaders need to be looking out for their members, these same members will want that person in the person in that position longer.
Sandra: Important to get roles and responsibilities made out as a priority.  Confidentiality would be at the top of the responsibility of the Council.
Nick: Need to take this back to a process and put a “confidentiality agreement” in place for the current Council to sign and abide by.
Lily: As well as a “Criminal Record check”. We need nomination procedures etc. like “Off Reserve ballots”
Louann: Good points being made that wold be good to share with membership. Brainstorming – term of council, “interim election code” can be used.  Allow ourselves to try save things out here, see what membership think.
We can develop tasks for this committee:
Should have presented at election, confidentiality agreement, and give a timeframe to provide a criminal record check.
Joan: can that be included in the roles and responsibilities that these are expected for this person to carry out?
Sandra: either you are committed or not, if not then we will get someone else.
Nick: that can be put in there “recall” because of non-confidence.
Lily: we need to have someone in place to keep track of what they are doing.
Louann: They should have answsers and results of what they hae been doing – tasks report – report on requests by 3 months” Examples of what can be reported on.  Sometimes the tasks are not right for that person, can give them to someone else on council, staff or membership.
Trish: perhaps each council has certain portfolio, accountability on whether the council member is bringing our concerns to the meetings they attend.  They don’t just go to attend the meetings
Norman: It’s not about “I” it should be “We”, we need to respect each other.  We need to bring that back “Respect each other”
Louann:  How are we tapped into the other nations? We hear about other bands doing a lot of things, but we don’t know how we are included with the organizations.
Trish: example of Namgis having an “Eulachon” meeting, they did not have any intentions of including us in this meeting.  To see more of our presence in our territory would be great.
Joan: Namgis has kind of backed off since we also attended that meeting,
Louann: We need to get Treaty in more communications to make sure we stay onboard.
Nick: ok so we can start on Council policies: Term – how long, role and responsibilities, confidentiality agreement, criminal records check, engagement expectations, carrying voice of membership to meetings, recall and non-commitment (who would decide this?)
Lily: if they have a workplan, it would be obvious if they are not following it.  Would we also have someone in place to replace that council for the interim?
Discussion around the nominated member for council must understand the Roles and Responsibilities and have a Criminal records Check before accepting the nomination. 
Sandra: We also need procedures for members to have their concerns on record.
Louann: Need to really set up how often we, the membership, meet. Twice a year? To get to make sure all our concerns are being met.  We should concentrate on making sure our children know who we are, start with family base, then do the membership business. 
Nick: With the report back to membership on our work, perhaps ask if this committee can be made permanent, at least for the first few years of implementing these policies.  Possibly strike up a new committee to address whatever issues come up after that.  This was a great beginning to the work ahead of this committee, we will send out the minutes, when we have compiled all the notes for the committee to go over then the committee will need to approve them being sent to general membership.

Meeting ended at approx.: 3pm

 

Mail:

Send postage mail:
Box 330, Alert Bay BC
Canada V0N 1A0

Call Us

250-974-2703
1-877-207-9797
Fax: 250-974-2706